Stuffed French Toast Casserole with Mixed Berry Sauce
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Cinnamon, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 loaf Texas Toast or sliced homemade challah (I used this recipe for the bread machine and it was perfect and delicious!)
- 4oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp nutella
- 3 cups frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and/or cranberries)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey, or 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Beat eggs lightly; add milk and vanilla and beat until well blended. Reserve.
- Place cream cheese and nutella in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 20 seconds, just until softened. Stir cheese and nutella together. Reserve.
- Place 6 tbsp butter in glass 13x9" pan and microwave at 70% for 45 seconds. If butter is not melted, microwave at 70% in 15-20 second increments until all the butter is melted.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over butter and stir together gently.
- Layer bread slices over butter (I cut off the crusts to make the slices more rectangular but it's not necessary).
- Pour half egg mixture over bread, making sure to coat all the bread.
- Sprinkle more cinnamon over the bread (adjust to your liking, we like A LOT of cinnamon but not everyone does).
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the bread then top with another layer of bread slices.
- Pour remainder of egg mixture on top and sprinkle with more cinnamon. Dice the remaining 2 tbsp of butter and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.
While the casserole is baking, make the berry sauce. Place berries, sweetener and cornstarch in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened. Smash berries using a potato masher and cook 2 more minutes. Serve over top of french toast.